Today was the day where the finished look of the show started to take shape. I was able to get the last of the lid pieces laid in, the reverse brown circle will be the place where the viewer experiences the most after image sensation when standing in front of the lid circles. I also got to lay in a coffee ground stain background for the gr impressions prints. It was great after all these years to mess with coffee grounds again since the first “Goldsworthy of the Coffee Shop” performance in 2004 involved scattering espresso dust.
The past 48 hours have been a blur from sticks to prints from prints to lids, from lids to sticks to sleeves and at some point I think I ate some food. As I head into the final functional working days of the residency I look forward to seeing everything getting resolved. As more of each element is fleshed out the stronger the interactions and connection points between work becomes. What was really sweet today was seeing the framed prints assembled together. It was like visiting with all the great printmakers I met over the last couple of years.
Movement today was slow and fast, but much progress was made. I was able to focus on the area leading from the crate, as well as secure some other problem areas. Tomorrow I need to tackle the sleeves, and dial in the lids. Tonight I need to watch some television and go to sleep.
I managed to get the south wall tensed a little better and definitely have my task for tomorrow laid out. I need to focus on the other side of that area where the sleeves are running through the piece. I also feel like I have been neglecting the lid walls after the first layout. The good news is that I think by thursday I should be in the clear on the sticks and can give up some of my physical energy to the lids.
I am starting to see the forest from the trees. I am now 5 working days into the 15 day build out and can begin to see some resolution of the work. I hope through this week to get the rest of the sleeves laid in and flesh out the sticks then finally tackle the rest of the lid wall.
Today saw the first segment of the sleeve sculpture go in place. This time I am trying as much as possible to have all the works exist separately but also interacting with each other. The way I have been thinking about it the way I pushed the sleeves and sticks together with the furniture enclosure in Grand rapids was just practice for what I wanted to try here. Likewise this experience is giving me the chance to try out things that I can use for shows in 2012.
Day three saw yet another ground to ceiling connection being made. This time between the beautiful cross members of the building and that awesome seam in the concrete. Tomorrow I will begin tackling the crate integration and hopefully keep securing and fleshing out the rest of the piece. With 12 working days remaining I am Read more...
Today I was able to get on pace with bringing this area of the stick form from the vent to the cracks in the floor. Tomorrow I will work on stabilizing and expanding other sections of the stick piece. Hopefully by Saturday or Sunday I will have the defining footprints, anchor points and high sections laid in so I can spend the rest of the residency filling in the form.
Today was good first day. In my attempt to make this installation and exhibition a comprehensive show of the “Have Sticks Will Travel/Goldsworthy of the Coffeeshop work I have had to think a bit more about pacing of the show and pacing of my install. since I am trying to weight all three rooms individually and in relation to each other I am dividing my time at the beginning of the install setting up and laying out all the elements at once.